Flushing the State Proline Gas Water Heater — Get hard water (calcium) out of tank
This is just a tipsheet. You MUST read and follow the instructions for your particular water heater. Printer friendly version may be available at bit.ly/water-heater-pdf
This page: bit.ly/gas-water-heater
- Gas Heater, turn off gas and then water
- AC: Unplug the AC pump that's connected to the wall.
- Close main valve lever above water heater
- Turn the pilot knob to 'PILOT' or 'VACATION'
- Option (deep flush): Turn on hot water in tub so that hot water can be running through (pump the valve lever a few times to create surges to mix up sediment)
- Connect hose to drain valve: give a short turn or two with Channel Locks so doesn't leak; can use a bucket to see output
- Use screwdriver to open valve
- Start some air movement by lifting pressure-relief valve OR loosen but don't have to disconnect one of line nuts on top (rightside is cold)
AFTERWARD TANK IS DRAINED
- Reset relief valve OR Open hot water in tub. Push spring-loaded pressure valve down till snaps in place
- If applicable, re-tighten nut on top (replace older flex hose if necessary)
- Open main valve lever at the top near the ceiling to recycle the tank (5-7 min)
- Turn off hose valve (with screwdriver)
- Go inside house, turn on the hot water lines to each fixture (to blow air out); about 5 min
- If gas heater, refill the tank before turning it back on or can burn out heating element.
- Turn on gas valve.
- Turn pilot back on if applicable (this can be dangerous, so closely follow your own manufacturer's instructions).
- Disconnect hose; Re-plug in AC pump
- Gas and Relief Valve: www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6-SquuvHFE
- *** pilot light: www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2V4vFKDP6Y